Sunday, August 19, 2007

Something to Talk About

In another week or so, I'll be halfway through my stay in Japan. (In case you haven't heard, I extended my contract another year, so I'm going to stay at the medical school until August of 2008.) Over the next couple of days, things are going to change a bit. Tyler is leaving Ehime and the new teacher is coming sometime next week. Of course I'm excited to meet the new teacher, but also a little sad to see Tyler go -- it's been fun working together and nice to hang out with someone who shares my love for karaoke. :D

Let's get one thing straight, though -- although Tyler and I get along well, contrary to popular belief, we're not married, dating or otherwise bound by vows of eternal gaijin love. Despite this, I think we've both become resigned to the fact that everyone in Toon city thinks we're married. The softball men, the shinto priest, and various other people in my neighborhood have asked me how my husband is doing so many times that I've lost count. And yesterday, at dinner with two of our students (both exchange students from China), I realized that the medical students also appear to think that we're a couple.

Student 1: So you want to learn Chinese?

Me: Oh yes, please teach me!

Student 2: Ok. Do you know any words already?

Me: Well....I can say 你好 (hello) and 我愛你 (I love you.)

Student 1: Ooooo, you can say
我愛你??? Good! Now say it to Tyler!! (The two students look at each other and giggle. wink wink. nudge nudge.)

Tyler and Me: ???

Student 1: We've actually been wondering if you two have any good stories to tell us.

Me: Stories?

Student 1: Yeah, like...you know...stories about the two of you...together....

Me: haha. I don't think I could tell you anything very interesting.

Student 1:
Oh....so you mean he didn't propose to you???

Tyler and Me: ...


Really, it doesn't bother me that everyone here thinks I'm married to Tyler. I actually find it quite entertaining. But I do wonder what will happen when the new teacher comes, as he just so happens to be male. I can only imagine the scandal. It'll probably make the front page. (TROUBLE IN PARADISE??? GAIJIN LOVE TRIANGLE IN TOON CITY.)

Yikes...who knew I would get married, divorced, and remarried in just one short year.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had always thought that Grandma's were invited to the weddings, what is happening? I don't like to be left out you know! Ha! Love, Grandma

Lindsay said...

Oh shoot! I forgot to invite you!! But don't worry...I'll definitely invite you to the next one. ;)