Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Love Trash / A Readership Poll

Last year when I lived in an apartment in Kyoto, I put all of my trash into one bag and threw the bag into the apartment building's dumpster. There was only one dumpster and the only sign on the dumpster simply said:


In case you're confused by the English translation, I think it should be changed to something more like "Please close the lid of the dumpster after you throw away your garbage." But questionable English aside, I loved this dumpster. It was simple and beautiful. Read on, and I think you'll understand why.

This week, I have been introduced to the harsh realities of the Japanese waste disposal system. Gone are the old days when I was allowed to put all of my garbage into one bag and simply toss it in a dumpster. Instead, I must sort my garbage into about seventeen different bags and dispose of each of them at separate pick-up sites in various parts of my town. (Off the top of my head, the categories are burnable garbage*, plastic bottles with the #1 recycling sign, all other plastic products, metal cans, glass bottles, milk cartons, corrugated cardboard, newspapers and magazines, styrofoam trays, batteries, mirrors and fluorescent light bulbs, oversized items, and other.)

Ok, so by seventeen categories I meant thirteen...but you get the general idea.

You may be thinking, Sure, they have all these categories, but no one actually sorts their trash that diligently, right? Wrong. Everyone in the neighborhood is required to sort their garbage into clear trash bags. Thus, if you have a stray fluorescen
t lightbulb in your "other plastic products" bag, the sanitation workers will be able to see it and will leave the offending bag at the pick-up site. On top of that, everyone is required to label their trash bags with their name. This means that when the rest of your neighbors go to the pick-up site to drop off their neatly-sorted trash, your poorly-sorted bag will still be sitting there, a mark of shame upon your household.

For the most part, dear readers, I think that I have succeeded in keeping all of my trash straight, but I would like to request your advice about one very important matter, and therefore, I am conducting a brief readership poll:

Question 1)

Every day, I take medication that comes individually wrapped in one of those childproof packages. Each pill is encased in a wrapper that looks like this:


Since the the packaging contains plastic, paper, and the foil stuff, I currently face a terrible dilemma, so please help me out and answer my poll.

Should I:
A) peel off the paper, painstakingly scrape the metallic stuff off the plastic, and throw away all three parts separately?
B) peel off the paper but leave the metallic stuff on the plastic and risk dishonoring my good name?
C) place the whole wrapper deep inside the "other plastic products" bag and hope that the trash man doesn't notice?
D) bury the wrappers in a hole outside my apartment until I decide what to do with them?
E) Other_____________

If you could send your response to me as soon as possible, I would be ever so grateful. You can leave your answer as a comment on this blog or just e-mail it to me. Thank you! I value your opinion.**


* This burnable garbage category completely baffles me. After all, you can burn milk cartons, cardboard, newspapers, magazines, and even plastic (although it would smell bad), but they are not considered burnable garbage.

** No really, I do value your opinion. But I am also curious to know who actually reads this blog. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so by seventeen categories I meant thirteen...but you get the general idea.

Ha. I win. I really do have 17 categories, plus 2 mystery categories. Stop saying 17 and trying to be as cool as me.

as for your pills - I couldn't really see the different parts in the picture, but I would seriously separate them into their different parts and burn the paper (b/c it's probably not the recyclable-marked paper), put the plastic with the pura, and the foil with the aluminum.

have you figured out where twist ties go???

Anonymous said...

Bury the offending container!

-Mandy

Lindsay said...

ok, ok, I'll stop being a poser. There are really only 13 categories.

You throw away twist ties? I keep them for tying my garbage bags shut. :) But I guess if you do throw them out, you'll have to strip off the paper and throw the paper and the metal away separately?? this is kind of insane...

Anonymous said...

I think you should have had your Grandma unwrap each pill before you left, and put the little buggers in a different container.

Anonymous said...

I was about to say something along the lines of separating out each element (p.s. my Japanese cousin confirms the trash system is indeed crazy and is thankful she lives in California).

Than I read your Grandma's comment.
PWn3d!

Anonymous said...

Save packaging & bring to grandma for disposal when you come home.

Lindsay said...

Thanks, guys! These all sound like excellent ideas, although I'm leaning towards sending the wrappers home to
Grandma.

Vi, I think I must be getting old cuz I didn't understand your last line of internet jive, yo. :) Translation?

Evelyn said...

i say paper part goes in moerugomi, and the rest in other plastics. seriously though, if you stuck everything in moeru, i dont think theyd notice unless your garbage bag was ONLY your medicine wrappers, yanno?

if you thought your garbage system was taihen, check this out. while i can just dump stuff in front of my house, there are only certain days of the week where i can throw stuff out. 2x a week is moeru, 2x a month are recyclables, and the non-burnables is once a month, though i dont know when. being an island that i'm living on, apparently stringent recycling rules dont apply to us. however, what's crappy is that 1) i have to put stuff out juuust before 8 so that the crows can't peck at my garbage bags before 8:15 when the dump truck arrives, and 2) i have to BUY special garbage bags in order to throw out my garbage. buy garbage bags!!! only japanese people would think of that!! arg. i have to pay about 600yen for 10 large moeru bags, and 400yen for 10 small moeru bags. soo, it forces you to pay more inthe end if you dont consolidate your trash. blargh. island life is takai.

Lindsay said...

crazy, huh, Chin. Actually my system sounds about the same as yours except that I don't have to buy my own garbage bags. That's a little over the top...