Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Odds and Ends

Today, while editing a paper for the ophthalmology department, I discovered my new favorite anatomical term:

Zonule of Zinn

I guess it's the name of the fibers that connect the muscles in your eye to the lens, but doesn't it sound like the name of some sort of space alien commander from a distant planet?? Hello, I am Zonule of Zinn. I come in peace... (-_-)v

Anyway, the term is definitely permanently embedded in my brain now. Who would have thought that I would get this much enjoyment from correcting medical articles?

I am going to be a great doctor.

---

Yesterday, I was sitting in a cafe in Matsuyama correcting papers in between band practices when a lady came up and tapped me on the shoulder.

Lady: Excuse me, do you speak English?

Me: Yes, I do.

Lady: Can I ask you a question? (looks up at the ceiling like she is forgetting something, then suddenly remembers and looks back down at me, pointing her index finger at my chest) ....mosquito!

Me: ....?? Um, sorry?

Lady: How....how do you say....uh....um....a mosquito's baby in English?

Me: Oh, um, I think we call it larva.

Lady: ....?

(I pull out a piece of paper and write down "larva" so she can see.)

Lady: Oh! Larva! Oh, thank you very much!

Me: No problem.

Lady: (pulls out a business card) I work in this bakery. Please come and eat our cookies.

Me: ....thanks!....


Never quite figured out where this conversation was going. Any ideas? A bakery with a pest problem???


No comments: